Monday 1 October 2012

The Lake

When my great grandfather passed away, my mom had a falling out with her father over the family cottage. She was so upset that she decided when I was about 6 years old that we would no longer be going out to the cottage. Now, 13 years later, I decided it was time to pick my own battles and do what I want to do without worrying what my mom would think. So we packed up the car for a day trip and made the hour and a half trek to the cottage. Personally I get very aggravated  when I have absolutely no clue where I am driving and am not getting much help from Mathew while we are driving. My grandmother had text me the directions and Mathew continued to second guess them! He would say Leanne I think we should have taken that overpass! Well Mathew the sign says to continue driving until we see the sign for the turn off!! We finally pulled up and I had a rush of memories. 

The view from the deck

Of course my grandfather had decided to make a few changes, and he told us some funny stories about my great grandmother, apparently about 30 years ago, my great grandmother had told my grandfather to plant 4 trees, and she told him EXACTLY where to plant them, two were on there property line, and two were on the neighbors, when the cottage was built, the built it 10 feet onto the neighbors property line! I see my great grandparents were very conniving! 

Mathew catering to my young cousins every need. 

Once we got to the cottage, my grandmother loaded us all into her SUV and we drove down the road to Pembina river. Apparently I was there when I was young, but it's not like I can remember very well. 

Mathew choosing rocks to skip.

When we got to Pembina river, we went down to the water and Mathew dazzled me with his rock skipping abilities! I absolutely cannot skip rocks to save my life, but apparently when he was growing up in the river valley he would skip coal across the North Saskatchewan River. 

He's actually taller than me!






No comments:

Post a Comment